Item Number: FCHP248
Tribe: Santa Clara Pueblo
Description: This large storage jar has the signature Santa Clara design, the bear's paw, around its shoulder. While it is not used by potters at any other pueblos, the bear's paw has been used only since about 1900 at Santa Clara. This pot with five bear paws belonged to Joseph Henry Sharp and was used by him as an object in the painting, "Shelling Corn," and many others. Santa Clara Pueblo is situated just south of San Juan and is called Ka'po' in the native Tewa tongue. In recent times, its potters have produced polished red wares. The graceful shapes of Santa Clara pots make them quite desirable.
Dimensions: Height 21 inches
Hanson, James A., Spirits in the Arts: From the Plains and Soutwest Indian Cultures, The Lowell Press, Kansas City, 1994, pp 237
Click on photo for larger picture